Friday 7 February 2014

KX Pilates Fitzroy: Barre Class

Shannon (front) and Natalie
Great people, great studio, great location. I convinced Natalie to come with me to KX Pilates Fitzroy studio to do the morning Barre Sculpt class at 10am. The studio is an upstairs location on Brunswick Street with, thankfully, plenty of parking options on a weekday mid-morning.
We booked via an easy online system that ensures the class doesn't exceed the maximum number of participants. With around 8 of us, plus mats and the barre, this feels like the ideal number. It also meant our instructor, Shannon, could keep an eye on our technique and make suggestions or corrections discreetly.
Shannon (Instructor)
The other participants were experienced in both barre and pilates so Shannon gave us challenging moves, advanced options, and little rest. Perfect - heart rate soared, muscles grimaced in the most satisfying way!

If I had to find a gripe - which I don't, but bear with me - it would only be that I indicated my vulnerable hip condition and there were several moves I couldn't comfortably (or safely) do that I wasn't offered an alternative for. This is my fault though, as I assured Shannon at the start that I would modify as I needed to PLUS Shannon knows that I instruct Ballet Sculpt and instructing instructors isn't a fun prospect for anyone.

While Natalie loved the plies in fifth position (Leg-achingly good!), my
favourite move was the tricep push-ups followed by a modified "Scorpion" move from yoga.

Tools for Sculpting
I am going to return for the Pilates Reformer class - the studio and the facilities look amazing, plus the instructors I met today were really down-to-earth, friendly, funny and encouraging.

If Fitzroy isn't your local 'hood, there are KX studios in Malvern, Ascot Vale, Richmond, Camberwell and Port Melbourne. Head to the KX Pilates website for locations, bookings and more class details. You can also join in the conversation on their Facebook page.

KX Pilates Fitzroy
Level 1, 360 Brunswick Street
Fitzroy VIC 3065
(03) 9419 4129
fitzroy@kxpilates.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment!

Melbourne Lockdown 2.0 - what it's like and what it means

 Are lockdowns working? It undoubtedly works to reduce infections and yet, the impact on mental health right now and into the future is bein...