- What are your goals?
- Will you be training in a gym, at home, outdoors or elsewhere?
- Have you been able to get the results you want in the past?
- Are you injured and do you know how to avoid agitating or worsening it?
If you end up spending more time looking around your training ground thinking, "What now?" than you do actually working out, get a program from a trainer you have seen in action. You want to know they prescribe workouts that you'd WANT to do!
The more experience you get and the more you understand WHY you're doing particular exercises and for how long, the more prepared you'll be to design your own workouts in the future.
If you want to go it alone, here's my guide to making your own program:
- What are your weaker areas? (ie. many people have a weaker back from sitting and hunching forward)
- What are your time and budget? (this will define how much time your program takes to complete and where you'll exercise)