Tuesday 18 February 2014

Hitting Your Thirties: What To Update

When I turned 31 last year, my sister happily congratulated me on now being "the wrong side of thirty".
Since my 20s weren't all that great, I'm actually thinking this is the RIGHT side, BUT there are
some adjustments that need to take place to nutrition, fitness and skincare once you're beyond the invincible 20s.

  1. Maintain or START a resistance training program (ideally with weights to protect and build lean muscle 
  2. Ensure you are meeting your iron, calcium and vitamin D levels to stave off fatigue, mood fluctuations and disease
  3. Learn how to prepare some basic healthy meals and keep these as your staples - invest in a cooking class or cook book! Nina Stabey (right) is a naturopath and clinical nutritionist who runs clinics and workshops Australia-wide. Find out her locations and availability at The Healing Ingredient (health rebates available)


SKINCARE

First of all, get those sun spots and freckles checked out by a doctor or dermatologist - better safe than sorry. Especially if you are 100 shades of pale, like me.

I might be out of my 20s, but I'd like my skin to stay as youthful as possible.
I don't spend up on skincare, instead relying on a prescription retinoic acid cream to act as an exfoliant and collagen booster. My doctor prescribes ReTrieve cream, which I apply around the eyes and on any blemishes. It has the bonus effect of being an acne treatment so blast wrinkles and spots overnight! It's $50 a pop and lasts for 6 - 8 months.

If puffy peepers are more your concern, my favourite organic skincare brand, live clean, makes Fresh Face De-Puffing Roller Eye Treatment. Packed full of lavender, cucumber, vhamomile, milk thistle, mallow, aloe and buckthorn, its my morning eye massage. Hypoallergenic, vegan and totally clear of mineral oil and petroleum. It's the bomb at approx $32.

Once you've done the groundwork - get to know what colours and makeup effects suit you. This will save on the number of products you have lying around the bathroom and bedroom, AND the amount you spend on products! That said, my nan had about 50 shades of coral lipstick and I used to be thrilled to open her makeup drawer and ogle them all.
Your staples should include a lip liner in a shade darker than your lips, an SPF-enhanced foundation or BB cream, concealer, and eyeliner.

If you're me, a whole lot of glitter and lipstick in every shade under the sun will round things off, but you're not me so you're probably much tamer with your choices!



I cannot rave enough about Rimmel ScandalEyes Thick/Thin liner. It makes it super easy to draw a long-lasting, smudge-proof line. You can carry it around in your handbag forever without needing to sharpen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment!

Melbourne Lockdown 2.0 - what it's like and what it means

 Are lockdowns working? It undoubtedly works to reduce infections and yet, the impact on mental health right now and into the future is bein...