Saturday 21 February 2015

Bulletproof Coffee and Fat

Fitness fanatics come up with some extreme concoctions to fuel their performance. Remember Sylvester Stallone in Rocky gulping down raw egg whites?

I genuinely believe in coffee as a performance enhancer. Not only does it boost energy and adrenalin if taken at least 30 minutes before activity, but it also acts as a pain buffer if consumed afterwards. It can alleviate some of the muscle pain you experience without impeding recovery or results.

I also know, and there is ample evidence to prove, that omega 3 fatty acids are essential to a healthy, nourished brain, lubricated and strong joints and vein/artery and heart health.
They are also vital to optimal hormone function and it is important to note that the body does not produce omega 3 fatty acids so your diet is the only source of this essential element.

My preference is to drink black coffee - on ice, in this weather - and to eat plenty of omega 3 rich foods, with an additional supplement.

In the morning, I grind up strong Code Black Coffee beans - now, I SHOULD use a proper grinder but I use my blender and leave it going for long enough to make sure the grind is fine - and make plunger coffee.
No sugar.
I drink 2, perhaps 3, half an hour to an hour before I leave for the gym.

I eat salmon, avocado and plenty of dark green veg at both lunch and dinner, all of these rich in omega 3 fatty acids. With my meal, I take Nature's Way Fish Oil, Krill Oil or Calamari Oil. These are all omega 3 fatty acid supplements.

In this serious heat Melbourne is getting at the moment, I take my black coffee on ice. You can make it at home or do it yourself in a cafe (my preference!)
Simply order black coffee with a big glass of ice on the side.
Pour the coffee over the ice.
Throw in a straw.
Voila! Coffee El Eskimo.

However, if you are all for the extreme and ironmen, triathletes and serious crossfitters are your gurus, you might want to try bulletproof coffee. I don't drink it and I don't actually like the idea, BUT I know there are some serious athletes who are all for it and I respect them so if you are an endurance athlete who doesn't get enough fat in your everyday diet, this is for you.

Blend your coffee with:
a tablespoon of skinny coconut oil and
a teaspoon of grassfed, organic, unsalted butter.
For taste, add a dash of vanilla and stevia for sweetness.
Drink.

What's the goal? To take the stimulating effect of caffeine with the slow-digesting, rich in fat for extended energy without the jittery effect that caffeine can have on some.


1 comment:

  1. Do you eat intuitively or do you count macros? What does your daily diet look like?

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment!

Melbourne Lockdown 2.0 - what it's like and what it means

 Are lockdowns working? It undoubtedly works to reduce infections and yet, the impact on mental health right now and into the future is bein...