Cairns. Here's the deal: 6 days a week there are roughly 15 group fitness classes run outdoors for anyone and everyone who wants to take part - free.
- is a great marketing initiative for tourists
- is an appealing holiday activity for local visitors
- improves mental and physical health
- is much cheaper than funding health warnings and reactive measures
- proves that fitness can be fun and diverse
- makes it easy for every age, gender and level of ability to take part
The initiative is called Active Living. Today there is Sahaja Yoga Meditation, Seniors Steady Steps, Boxfit, Beach Volleyball, Mumbalates (pilates for mums AND their kids!), Aqua Zumba, Tai Chi and more.
If this is something you want to see locally, get writing to your local MP! Find Your Local MP.