Wednesday 17 July 2013

Eating breakfast: Before or After My Workout?

Oats for breakfast
Personally, I have changed over the years and found that it totally depends on the intensity and duration of the exercise I'm doing whether I want to eat beforehand or not. I have found though, that if I don't eat before a workout, my appetite is raging by midday and nothing I eat afterwards feels like enough!

From personal experience, I know that eating about an hour before a workout is the best idea.
A mix of carbohydrates and protein, no fat. Fat slows down the emptying of the stomach - not a good idea when you need the focus to be on your muscles, not still digesting your food!

Carbs and protein give you an energy boost and balance your blood sugar and hormones so that you can tackle your workout in optimal condition.

Coffee boosts your workout
Coffee before a workout is also a good stimulant - try to stick to one coffee and preferably not too milky. Save the lattes and cappucinos for afterwards.

Good breakfast options include:
  • Whole-grain cereals or bread
  • Low-fat milk
  • Vegetable and fruit-based juice
  • Bananas
My personal preference is a bowl of wholegrain rolled oats, soy milk and sultanas; a piece of fruit (plum, nectarine, mandarin) and either coffee or hot lemon juice.

If you want expert advice on your diet, you can look up a registered professional with Sports Dietitians Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment!

Melbourne Lockdown 2.0 - what it's like and what it means

 Are lockdowns working? It undoubtedly works to reduce infections and yet, the impact on mental health right now and into the future is bein...